Summer time means firing up the grill and slapping the meat over the flames.
Meat is king here at Casa Maria.
But I want to cut the fat a little, make my summer meals on the grill a little lighter and healthier.
I can't do without a burger, but I can make it a bit easier on the system. Amazingly, I don't have to give up flavor while I'm cutting the fat.
Bye-bye beef and hello ground turkey! Hasta la vista mayonnaise and hola, guacamole! These two simple swaps are flavorful - especially when you put a strategic few add-ins in the ground turkey mixture.
Ground turkey is significantly lower in fat, nearly half of the 24 grams of fat and one-third fewer calories than the 300 calories found in four ounces of cooked lean ground beef.
Guacamole is far less evil than mayonnaise when it comes to condiments - and it packs in some terrific nutrients every body can use. One tablesppon of mayonnaise has a whopping 90 calories and adds 10 grams of fat with zero nutritional value while a similar size serving of guacamole contains roughly half the calories and fat while providing a source for Vitamins, B,C, and E.
My stomach feels flatter already!
This meal is quick, easy and bursting with flavor. Add a side of sweet Silver Queen corn and life is nearly perfect.
Spicy Turkey Burgers with Guacamole
- 3 pounds ground turkey
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons chipoltle salsa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, mix ground turkey, seasoned bread crumbs, onion, egg whites, parsley, garlic, chipoltle salsa, salt, and pepper. Form into 12 patties.
- Cook the patties in a medium skillet over medium heat, turning once, to an internal temperature of 180 degrees F (85 degrees C).