Tortilla chips with olives and capers, breakfast cheese and organic blood orange soda are among the 11 finalists for the 2009 sofi Award for Outstanding New Product of 2009.
The sofi Awards, presented by the National Association for the Specialty Food Trade, honor the outstanding specialty foods and beverages of the year in 33 categories. “sofi” stands for specialty outstanding food innovation.
Finalists for Outstanding New Product 2009 are:
* Belle Chevre - Belle & The Bees Breakfast Cheese
* Chex Finer Foods - Laurel Hill Tortilla Chips - Olive and Caper
* Clotho Corp. - Haddrell's of Cambridge Rewarewa Honey
* European Imports Ltd.- Cucina Viva Roasted Red Tomatoes
* Grafton Village Cheese Co. - Grafton Duet
* Koppert Cress USA - Mustard Cress Single Retail Unit
* New England Herbal Foods - Danielle Fruit Chips - Roasted Coconut
* Sonoma Syrup Co.™ - Acai Black Currant Superfruit Syrup™
* The Gracious Gourmet - Dilled Carrot Tomato Tapenade
* Theo Chocolate - Theo Limited Edition Collection
* Vinnedge Distributing Inc.- Vergnano Italian Organic Blood Orange Soda
A national panel of specialty food experts tasted and evaluated 1,997 products over five days at NASFT offices in New York this spring.
They selected 128 finalists across 33 categories, including Outstanding Chocolate, Cheese, Snack Food and Olive Oil. The last two groups of finalists were selected earlier this month, for Outstanding New Product and Outstanding Product Line.
The finalists will be judged by attendees at the Summer Fancy Food Show in New York. Gold winners will be announced at a special ceremony Monday, June 29 hosted by noted chef Ming Tsai.