Caribbean soul on fire at Red Bamboo
December 03, 2008
I am by habit a carnivore. It's not a meal without meat, right.
But, that's changed since my recent dinner at Red Bamboo, a fabulous Fort Greene find that caters specifically to vegans and vegetarians.
Specializing in mock meat, the super ambient restaurant, located at the corner of DeKalb Avenue (271 Adelphi Street), could convert even hard core carnivores with its Caribbean soul infused signature dishes.
Try to get a seat in one of the discreet nooks upstairs (from Wednesay night on). Very speakeasy.
This should be illegal. Thank goodness it isn't. Fantastic taste.
Try these dishes if you try nothing else. Chef Billy Ahearn is skilled.
- soul chicken, crispy panko breaded fried faux chicken
- collard green rolls, spring rolls made with mock smoked ham and -- what else -- collard greens.
- Mango chicken salad, vegetarian chicken, mango slivers, and mixed greens lightly dressed
- grilled Portobello mushroom salad served on a bed of meclun
- chicken parmesan & pasta
- Sorrel mojito (think sour-sweet wild strawberries and mint)
- White Guava Sangria (wildly tropical and some of the best sangria around)
- It's Not Your Mama's Fruit Punch
For dessert, do Death by Chocolate or the chocolate ganache covered strawberry shortcake.